Tuesday, September 29, 2015

32 Weeks to Delivery!


31 weeks, 5 days.  We were redoing our floors at the time.  Hence the mess.  Thank goodness that's over!

Because Henry was measuring large, at 32 weeks we underwent another ultrasound to see just how big he really was.  Homeboy weighed 4 pounds, 10 ounces, was measuring larger than average and was about 2 weeks ahead in size.

Because he was so big, we planned another ultra sound at 37 weeks to check in with his size one last time.


Pensive Henry.

We have also been working on Henry's race car themed room.  


Washed and hung a bunch of his clothes.  I guess nesting had kicked in!


His closet now has closet doors and he has some other stuff.  


33 weeks.


Henry and me working.

Doing a little research

35 weeks, 4 days

His bed is all ready.  I didn't want to wash the sheets or make the bed until right before he sleeps in it so it's clean.


Some old car photos on the walls.  Books in the shelf ready to read to him.

The changing table topper arrived and I attached it and set it up.  All ready for some poopy diapers!
Our hospital stuff is all packed and the car seats are in both cars.  We are ready for Henry whenever he is ready for us!....well as ready as we will ever be.


It's a good thing I am a crazy planner because at 36.5 weeks Henry decided he was ready to come into this world!  I went to bed on Tuesday 9/8 and at 1:30 am I woke up because I thought I peed my pants (glamours, I know).  I went to the bathroom, put on new undies and right when I was about to get back into bed, more water gushed out.  At that point, I knew it wasn't pee!  I woke up Michael and we called my doctor.  She said it was definitely my water breaking and to go to the hospital.  I had no contractions at this point so I was relatively calm.  We called Michael's mom to come be with Olivia, loaded up our already packed bags and headed out.

I got checked in and settled and the contractions began.  They started out like period cramps and I was only 1 cm dilated.  They decided to monitor my progress, but planned to give me pitocin.  Within the next two hours my contractions picked up and became painful.  I had progressed to 4 cm.  I tried to sleep and relax, but the contractions became too intense too quickly.  I could see them on the monitor and they were literally off the charts and many of them were back to back.  I endured the really bad contractions for about 2 hours and then the pain became so intense that I got really nauseous and my legs were shaking violently.  I decided to talk to the nurse about an epidural (I had already planned to get one).  I talked to her and she was really unhelpful and wouldn't give me any insight about whether I should get one yet or not.  It hadn't been that long so I wasn't sure if I was just being a baby or what.  It was 6:30am and the anesthesiologist was going into a C-section at 7:30am.  I knew it was risky to wait because I probably would be able to get one until 9am if I waited.  I opted to get it.

I got the epidural at 7am and it was a great experience.  It didn't hurt and within minutes my excruciating pain was GONE.  I knew epidurals reduced pain, but I had no idea that they eliminate it completely.  I felt NO PAIN for the rest of my labor and delivery.  It was amazing! I HIGHLY recommend getting one.  After I got it, I was able to hang out, sleep and get ready for delivery.  After the epidural they checked me and I was 6cm (Im uncertain of the timing).  They expected me to progress one centimeter an hour, but it went so much faster.  The next time they checked me I was 8 cm.  The nurse said she would come back in an hour, but 30 minutes later I felt a lot of pressure and the urge to push.  I called my nurse back and sure enough, I was 10 cm!  We got ready for delivery, but they wanted to let him labor down the birth canal a bit first.  She said she would come back in 30 mins.  I waited and felt like I was literally holding him in.  After 10 minutes I called her back.  She had me do a test push to see if he moved.  Sure enough, he did so the pushing began.  I pushed for about 45 minutes and my sweet boy was born.  I had no idea just how exhausting the pushing would be.  I was sweating like I had run a marathon.  Sweet Michael got cold washcloths and wiped me down in between pushes.  All the more reason I was glad I got the epidural and was able to rest before.

The cord was wrapped around Henry's neck, but the doctor fixed that without me knowing until after.  When they put Henry on my chest after he was born I was hysterical.  I was crying so hard, it was a few minutes before I was actually able to look at him.  I was just so tired and so emotional that I lost it.

After that we spent two exhausting days in the hospital.  I learned how to care for a baby, change a diaper, dress a baby everything!!  The nurses and lactation consultants were incredible.  I don't know what I would have done without them.

Henry is now almost 3 weeks old.  He has gained a ton of weight and is doing really well.  He was 6 pounds 15 ounces born.  When we left the hospital he was down to 6 pounds 6 ounces.  At our last appointment he weight 7 pounds 8 ounces and my guess is that he is over 8 pounds now.

We are so in love and he is actually a really good baby.  He is now sleeping in his crib in his room for most naps and at night.  At night he sleeps and wakes to eat about every 2.5-3 hours.

We have decided to not post pics of our boy (at least for now).  He will be all over social media for his whole adult life so we want to keep him to ourselves for now.  Here are some other pics though!


Clearly after the epidural


Olivia meeting her baby brother.



I didn't want Henry to go anywhere unattended so Michael went with him to get cleaned up after being born.



I was really worried about how Olivia would react to Henry.  She has been an only child and the center of Michael's world for nearly 8 years.  She has been absolutely amazing.  She is so sweet to him and SO proud to be a big sister.  She even helped change a diaper (which turned into 3 since Henry kept pooping!).


Being a mama is exhausting, but it is sooo sooo amazing.  



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!! Sounds like it's been a crazy wild couple of weeks, but in the best way possible. Enjoy your special time with your boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Chantal! I am so happy for you guys. L&L, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wow!! Congratulations!! Love hearing your story, what a beautiful experience :) Hope you guys are enjoying baby world :) xoxo!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover